Methi Kasturi / Kasuri (कसूरी मेथी) - Trigonella foenum-graecum - desi vegetable seeds
Hurry! Only 200 Left in Stock!
1 packet contains Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - 25gm seeds.
Fenugreek, Latin name Trigonella foenum-graecum, is an annual herb native to southern Europe and Asia. The plant grows quickly to 2 feet tall and fixes nitrogen into the soil. White or yellow flowers appear in the early summer and develop yellow-brown seed pods in the fall.This legume plant is used for food, seasoning, condiments, dye, and livestock forage. The plant and seed give off a maple aroma and taste. This herb is tender and does not survive freezing weather, so the seeds are cultivated during the spring after the last frost occurs.
|Seeds per Packet||45|
|Common Name||Trigonella foenum-graecum (botanical name), methi, Samudra methi, shanbalile, abesh, hilbeh, hilba, helba, halba|
|Height||The plant reaches a height of 0.3 to 0.8 meters and has trifoliate leaves.|
|Flower Colour||White flowers appear in early summer and develop into long, slender, yellow-brown pods containing the brown seeds of fenugreek.|
|Bloom Time||spring to early autumn seasons.|
Planting And Care
- The plant does not like to be transplanted after germination, so the seeds should be sown at the final place
- Or you can sow seeds in biodegradable pots which can be put directly into the ground later on
- Sow seeds about 5 mm deep and 50 mm apart in straight line trenches for seed sowing
- You can also sow the seeds in criss-cross patterns
- Instead of sowing in trenches, you can just sprinkle the seeds on the bed and cover with soil
- Water well and keep soil well-moistened
- Seeds will germinate in 3-5 days
- In the areas of frost, it may be started indoors 5 weeks prior to the last frost of the season
- The seedlings can be transplanted outdoors when the soil temperature is around 15 °C (60 °F)
Methi Kasturi Care
- Choose a suitable place for planting
- Choose a position in full sun and with soil that is of good to rich quality and drains well
- The soil should have a pH of around 6 to 7.
- The soil should remain dry and warm.
- Avoid cold, wet soils as these will cause fenugreek seeds to rot
- As a legume, fenugreek adds nitrogen to the soil, making it useful as a cover crop restoring nitrogen to the soil
|Sunlight||full sun to part shade.|
|Watering||Keep the soil moist, but do not over-water.|
|Temperature||temperature is between 10 to 30 °C (50 to 90 °F).|
|Fertilizer||Fenugreek does not require fertilizer however, you can mix manure or compost in the soil while planting.|
Methi Kasturi Uses:
- Its sweet and hot aromas like pepper and crunchy sour taste somewhat like spinach.
- It is popularly used in Indian, Persian, Egyptian, and Ethiopian cuisines, to prepare the tastiest recipes
- Fresh seeds used to sprinkle on salad and dried seeds in pickles